Amerks Weekly - Mar 4-Mar 11
A big win in Syracuse was negated by a big home loss the next night to that same team.
Amerks Games This Week
- Friday - 3/8 - 7:05pm - vs Bridgeport Sound Tigers (35-18-5-2)
- Saturday 3/9 - 7:05pm - at Binghamton Devils (24-31-5-0)
- Sunday 3/10 - 3:05pm - vs Binghamton Devils (24-31-5-0) - TELEVISED ON MSG/
AHL North Division Standings as of March 3rd
The Amerks went 2-1-0-0 last week but Syracuse has now tied them for the North Division lead, and they still have one game in hand.
Overall, the Amerks remain in fourth place in both the Eastern Conference and the league.
What Happened Last Week?
Record Feb 25-Mar 3: 2-1-0-0
I’m short on time this week, so catch the recaps at the links below.
- Game 56 Recap (3-1 Win at Utica) (LetsGoAmerks.com)
- Game 57 Recap (5-3 Win at Syracuse) (LetsGoAmerks.com)
- Game 58 Recap (1-4 Loss vs Syracuse) (LetsGoAmerks.com)/
- Alexander Nylander (F) - Alex turned 21 on Friday and he celebrated by scoring 2+1=3 in the two weekend games vs Syracuse. Both goals were quality snipes. I guess all those people using his age as an excuse are justified now... 🤪/
Correction, only 10 seconds in! Nylander picks the corner, beats Pasquale. That's his 9th of the season. Amerks up 2-0. pic.twitter.com/Ou3TW9uVX8— Let's Go Amerks (@LetsGoAmerks) March 3, 2019
BIG shot from Nylander on this one! Great play stopping it from leaving the zone and then let it fly. pic.twitter.com/xvLRMlXhIx— Let's Go Amerks (@LetsGoAmerks) March 3, 2019
- Will Borgen (D) - Another strong week on the ice and a great featured article from our friends over at LetsGoAmerks.com.
- Taylor Leier (F) - Two more goals. Leier brings intensity to each and every shift./
Room For Improvement
- Penalty Kill - Took a step backward on Sunday vs Syracuse. This unit has been dramatically trending upward since the new year, but Sunday was a good demonstration that it’s never a good idea to give a lot of power play opportunities to a highly skilled and talented team./
Anything less than four points this week could be a disaster for the Amerks. Syracuse and Utica play each other twice this week, so there are a lot of points being passed around by the top teams in the division. On paper, the game vs Bridgeport is the most difficult of the week so we’ll see which Amerks team shows up on Friday night. Will it be the team that dominated Syracuse last Friday, or the team that was dominated by Syracuse last Saturday?
Sunday afternoon’s 3pm home game vs Binghamton will be your last chance to catch the Amerks on MSG this year, so be sure to tune in to get a glimpse of the prospects as they continue their battle for the division title.
Game 56 - 2/27/2019 - Away Win at Utica Comets
Game 57 - 3/2/2019 - Away Win at Syracuse Crunch
Game 58 - 3/3/2019 - Home Loss vs Syracuse Crunch
- Kyle Criscuolo (F) - Lower Body - Day to Day
- Wayne Simpson (F) - Upper Body - Day to Day
- Kevin Porter (F) - Upper Body - Day to Day/
The Cincinnati Cyclones are 40-10-4-3 (!!!), remain in first place in their division, and are now the best team in the entire ECHL.
Jonas Johansson (G) finished his season with a 19-5-1-2 record, putting up a 2.60 GAA and a .908 SV%. He has undergone season-ending surgery and will begin his rehab with the hopes of a full-time role in Rochester next season, alongside Ukko Pekka Luukkonen - who is also expected to turn pro this summer.
- Justin Bailey: 6+2=8 in 13 games with Lehigh Valley / 0+0=0 in 5 games with NHL Philadelphia Flyers.
- Nicholas Baptiste: 12+10=22 in 55 games with Milwaukee / 0+1=1 in 2 games with Toronto.
- Colin Blackwell: 8+6=14 in 26 games with Milwaukee / 0+0=0 in 6 games with NHL Nashville Predators.
- Hudson Fasching: 12+13=25 in 48 games with Tucson / 0+0=0 in 0 games with NHL Arizona Coyotes.
- Taylor Fedun: 1+7=8 in 12 games with Texas / 3+7=10 in 40 games with NHL Dallas Stars.
- Seth Griffith: 12+31=43 in 51 games with Manitoba.
- Brendan Guhle: 0+1=1 in 6 game with NHL Anaheim Ducks.
- Matt Moulson: 25+28=53 in 52 games with Ontario.
- Jordan Nolan: 15+12=27 in 45 games with San Antonio / 0+2=2 in 14 games with NHL St. Louis Blues.
- Cliff Pu: 1+5=6 in 44 games with Charlotte. / 2+3=5 in 5 games with ECHL Florida Everblades / 1+0=1 in 3 games with Springfield./
Question of the Week
Are there any former Sabres prospects - who aren’t yet NHL regulars - that you wish were still in the system?