Die by the Blade is an unofficial Buffalo Sabres site dedicated to covering the team we love, the Buffalo Sabres. As is the vision of SB Nation as a whole, Die by the Blade is meant to be a fully interactive Buffalo Sabres Community that allows the your voice to be heard. There are plenty of ways to voice your opinion at Die by the Blade. You can comment on posts made by myself or other users, you can post a fanshot or even better you can write your own fanpost.
The ultimate goal of Die by the Blade is to become the biggest and best online community of Buffalo Sabres fans and have plenty of fun along the way. It's easy to become a member of the community and there are plenty of tools at your disposal, don't be afraid to use them. If you are unsure about the site, please read on and allow me to answer any questions you may have.
We welcome everyone and anyone to join Die by the Blade but we also have some rules that must be followed to make sure the experience is enjoyable for everyone.
Politics are an important part of our everyday life but they have no place at Die by the Blade. We encourage people to be passionate and politics are a passionate subject but please stick to hockey and the Buffalo Sabres. I too have my own strong political views but it's better left unsaid. Any and all political talk will be immediately removed from the site and the user will receive a warning.
I am a Sabres fan just like you and I know how passionate we can be about our team. With that being said I will not tolerate any personal attacks against other users, writers or members of the Sabres organization. It is acceptable to criticize as long as you have a valid point.
Along the same lines we will not tolerate anyone that attacks someone based on age, race, religion or sex.
Honestly I don't even know what trolling is so I will describe what I mean when I say trolling.
- Spamming comments with advertising with nothing else to say. I read plenty of other blogs and will never stop anyone from promoting their site as long as they have a point. I encourage you to place a link to your site in the signature but please make sure your comments are relative to the discussion.
- Excessive Negativity. What is excessive negativity? It is using negativity to bring down the Die by the Blade community. I don't mind, in fact I encourage, people to criticize the organization and the play of the team when it is warranted. What we will not tolerate is someone who is always negative for the purpose of getting a rise out of other community members.
- Attacking members of the organization without backing it up. This doesn't mean you can't criticize players or management but have a valid argument that allows people to debate your point. If you said "Larry Quinn is an idiot" it would not be acceptable but if said "Larry Quinn is an idiot because he..." and finished the thought it would be allowed. For the record I don't think Larry Quinn is an idiot.
- Creating more than one username for the purpose of spamming will not be tolerated and will create an immediate ban.
- Posting full articles from your own site is allowed but use the fanshots. In fact that is what fanshots are for and they will help generate traffic at your own site.
It is inevitable that we will all use profanity through the course of a Sabres game. I have no problem with the use of profanity as long as it is not excessive and it is relevant to what you are saying. Try to avoid using words that are only posted for shock value.
Please refrain from using profanity in the titles of any Fanposts you may write. I will have no choice but to delete the post and I don't want to do that.
Consequences For Violating Die by the Blade Community Guidelines
Violations of Die by the Blade Community Guidelines will be handled on a case-by-case basis, but, in general, violators can expect one warning followed by a banning for any subsequent violations. Banned users can apply for reinstatement at any point, but the onus will be on the user to explain why s/he should be allowed back into the community.
FanPosts and FanShots
See "FanPosts - A User Guide" and "FanShots - A User Guide" for the "how to" of this area of community participation, but here are some additional guidelines for posting FanPosts and FanShots:
- A FanPost must in some way belong on Die by the Blade - in other words, it must relate to the Sabres or to hockey or to Die by the Blade or to an existing thread, etc.
- It is not permitted to use FanPosts, FanShots, or comments for advertising. Anything posted in a FanPost, FanShot, or comments that contains commercial advertising is subject to deletion without notice.
- We reserve the right to delete any FanPost or FanShot for any reason, and are likely to do so in the following instances:
- A FanPost or FanShot that contains any of the above enumerated list of Community Guideline violations.
- A FanPost or FanShot that is the subject or part of the subject of a post that one of the site's writers is soon to publish or has published may be deleted so as not to have redundant content on the site (it is extremely rare that a FanPost will be deleted for this reason, but a FanShot that contains a link that is going to be part of the upcoming Links Post, for example, may fall prey to such a deletion).
- A FanPost or FanShot that is incorrectly formatted will likely be deleted - make sure to read "FanPosts - A User Guide" and "FanShots - A User Guide"
If you have any questions about myself, SB Nation, the site or the site functionality feel free to e-mail me and I will be happy to respond to your questions or comments. If you are unsure of the site functionality I suggest reading the SB Nation welcome guide first.