Links to Community Resources In WNY Blizzard Aftermath
If you need assistance, here may be some help.
As Western New York, and particularly the city of Buffalo, continues to dig out from the blizzard, I wanted to make this post as a way to help share resources & links that may be of use to those in need.
I’ll update as I can to continue pointing people to resources.
If you have a useful link to add, please share it in the comments.
- Assistance requests, open gas stations, grocery stores
- Buffalo Blizzard FB group
- Buffalo Mutual Aid FB group
- Buffalo Snow Brigade - volunteer
- Find a towed vehicle by Erie County
- Find a towed vehicle in Amherst
- Find a towed vehicle in the city of Buffalo
- Find a towed vehicle in Cheektowaga
- Most updated driving advisory/ban info in Erie County
- National Grid outage map
- National Weather Service - Buffalo
- NFTA Metro service status
- NITTEC cameras (helpful to see the state of highways)
- NYSEG outage map
- Tops Markets locations that are open
- Wegmans locations - call before going to confirm hours/
Call 858-SNOW (716-858-7669) with questions or requests for help that are not related to a medical emergency - non-life-threatening, but serious, situations.
If you lost power for 72+ hours, you can submit a claim for reimbursement to NYSEG or National Grid to cover groceries and prescription medication:
Other phone numbers that may be useful:
- 911 - life threatening emergencies
- 211 - non-emergency resources for storm recovery and connection to basic needs and human service agencies
- 311 - City of Buffalo Municipal Helpline - up to date info on city response to the Blizzard, can also be used to report unplowed streets, answered 8:30am-6:00pm for the time being
- 988 - National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 24/7 mental health and crisis support/