WHAT: The 2022 NHL Draft Lottery to determine the order of selection for the first 16 picks in the first round of the 2022 NHL Draft to be held in July
WHERE: NHL Network’s studios in Secaucus, N.J.
WHEN: Tuesday, May 10th, 2022 from 6:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. ET
HOW: Results of the Lottery will be announced shortly after 7 p.m. ET on ESPN, ESPN+, SN, SN NOW, TVAS.
The 2022 NHL Draft Lottery will consist of two drawings: one for the No. 1 pick and one for the No. 2 pick. Once the top two picks have been established, clubs will be slotted in the order of their finish in the regular-season standings.
In addition, a team only can move up 10 selections if it wins one of the lottery draws, a change announced by the NHL in March 2021 and thus only the top 11 teams in lottery are eligible to receive the No. 1 selection in the 2022 draft.
1. Montreal Canadiens, 18.5 percent
2. Arizona Coyotes, 13.5 percent
3. Seattle Kraken, 11.5 percent
4. Philadelphia Flyers, 9.5 percent
5. New Jersey Devils, 8.5 percent
6. Chicago Blackhawks, 7.5 percent
7. Ottawa Senators, 6.5 percent
8. Detroit Red Wings, 6.0 percent
9. Buffalo Sabres, 5.0 percent
10. Anaheim Ducks, 3.5 percent
11. San Jose Sharks, 3.0 percent
12. Columbus Blue Jackets, 2.5 percent
13. New York Islanders, 2.0 percent
14. Winnipeg Jets, 1.5 percent
15. Vancouver Canucks, 0.5 percent
16. Vegas Golden Knights, 0.5 percent
The Buffalo Sabres could end up with two picks in the top 16. The Vegas Golden Knights’ first round pick was part of the Jack Eichel trade made this season. If the Golden Knights’ pick is in the top 10 though, they would keep it and the Sabres would get their first-round pick in the 2023 draft instead.
Once the Lottery is complete we’ll do a quick recap of who moved up, who moved down and who stayed put, and of course, where all of this leaves the Buffalo Sabres going into the Draft in a couple of months.
Join us in the comments below!