The Buffalo Sabres will not travel to Long Island today to face the New York Islanders. The league postponed the game due to Covid protocols that need to be completed before the Sabres travel. They changed their plans to travel this morning with the New York metro area getting hit with a snow storm yesterday.
Here is the release from the league:
As of now, it appears that the Sabres are not dealing with a Covid issue within the team. The NHL release indicates they need to complete all protocols before traveling with the change in schedule due to the weather.
Right now, no immediate COVID concerns for Sabres, I'm told. However, team does need to get test results back (played #NJDevils this weekend, who are on COVID pause). No sense having Sabres travel and then wait for test results on Long Island. https://t.co/zbNtOyCGmQ— Andrew Gross (@AGrossNewsday) February 2, 2021
We’ll monitor this situation throughout the day, but the Sabres could travel later today and the game could be made up tomorrow. If not, they’re scheduled to play the Islanders on Thursday.
Remember, the New Jersey Devils were in Buffalo over the weekend and are going through a Covid-19 outbreak within the team right now. A handful of players that played were added to Covid list yesterday. That’s adding another layer of concern to all of this. The good news is we don’t have many cases of a team to team transmission in not only the NHL but other sports as well.