It’s Victory Monday for all those Buffalo Bills fans out there! Oh, and happy Canadian Thanksgiving to all our friends up north! Elsewhere in the 716, the Buffalo Sabres return for the NHL’s 2021-22 regular season this week and down the Thruway, the Rochester Americans are prepping for their own season in a short few weeks.
As we get ready for what lies ahead, some quick news & notes you may have missed:
- NHL rosters for the regular season are due by 5 p.m. today, so we could see more cuts and the like across the league in the next few hours.
- The Sabres loaned Brandon Biro and Casey Fitzgerald to the Amerks on Sunday, but now recalled Fitzgerald on Monday morning.
- Some interesting players went on waivers Sunday, so we’ll see if Buffalo put in a claim for anyone. Of particular interest are Tampa’s Alex Barré-Boulet, goaltender Malcolm Subban and Buffalo’s Axel Jonsson-Fjalby, who should be heading for Rochester if he clears.
- The Tampa Bay Lightning have signed head coach Jon Cooper to an extension:
- The Panthers and Canucks made a trade on Sunday, swapping Noah Juulsen & forward Juho Lammikko in exchange for defenceman Olli Juolevi.
- Our old friend Jimmy Vesey signed with the New Jersey Devils.
- Mika Zibanejad signed an eight-year extension with the New York Rangers.
- The regular season begins with a pair of games on Tuesday. The Penguins visit the Lightning (7:30 pm, ESPN) while the Golden Knights host the Kraken (10 pm, ESPN).
Hockey is back!