The Buffalo Sabres wrapped up day two of training camp today. It was nice to get back to the rink and be in attendance for hockey activity for the first time in over a year. Unfortunately, day two started off on a bad note right away.
Here are the takeaways from today:
- During the first drill of practice and one of the first reps of that drill, the Sabres had a key play go down. Rasmus Dahlin and Victor Olofsson were doing a 1 on 1 drill. Olofsson slipped trying to cut to the middle of the ice and went sliding into the goal post hard with all the force impacting his arm.
The impact was hard enough to make me actually cringe when it happened. He immediately skated off the ice hunched over holding his harm. The good news is that he did return a few minutes later, but was flexing his arm the entire time.
The team went for a 10-minute off-ice session and Olofsson did not return to the ice. After practice, Ralph Krueger had no update and said he was being evaluated.
- The line of Eric Staal, Sam Reinhart, and Jeff Skinner were excellent today in practice. You could see the chemistry and they looked good in all of the drills. After practice, Staal talked about liking Reinhart’s hockey IQ and wanting him to use his shot more. He feels it’s underrated and he doesn’t do it enough.
Interestingly enough I remember a goal by that line today where Reinhart buried a one-timer from the faceoff dot under the bar on a pass from Staal.
- Tage Thompson caught my attention a few times today. He looked quicker and made a few nice plays in tight windows around the net. However, he continued to be a little too cute on plays in the neutral zone during a breakout drill and had the puck knocked off his stick twice as a result.
- Arttu Ruotsalainen didn’t get a lot of reps throughout the practice. He was skating as the extra man with Riley Sheahan. When he did get the chance he made some plays. He had a nice rush during a breakout drill and a goal-scorers goal during a 3 on 3 drill at the end of practice. It was a quick wrist shot over the shoulder of Carter Hutton.
- Jack Eichel and Linus Ullmark were not on the ice again today. Krueger said that the two would miss at least one more practice. In case you missed it, Eichel is dealing with an upper-body injury and Ullmark is finishing up his mandatory quarantine.
- Sabres will practice again tomorrow with the main group skating at 10 AM.