The 2019 NHL Entry Level Draft is here!
The Draft is being hosted by the Vancouver Canucks at the Rogers Centre in Vancouver. The first round is being held today, with rounds two through seven taking place tomorrow.
Click here to see the final Mock Draft done by Chad DeDominicis to prepare yourself for the evening.
Keep it here as we’ll be live-updating this post once the Draft gets started!
How to Watch
Date: Friday, June 21
Start time: 8 PM EST
TV: NBCSN (USA), Sportsnet & TVAS (Canada)
Online stream: NBCSports Live (coverage starts at 7:30PM EST)
The Sabres have seven picks in this year’s draft:
- Round one: Pick 7 and 31
- Round three: Pick 67
- Round six: Pick 160, 175, 177
- Round seven: Pick 191
1. New Jersey Devils: Jack Hughes, C - USA U-18 (NDTP)
2. New York Rangers: Kappo Kakko, RW - TPS (Finland)
3. Chicago Blackhawks: Kirby Dach, C - Saskatoon (WHL)
4. Colorado Avalanche (from OTT): Bowen Byram, D - Vancouver (WHL)
5. Los Angeles Kings: Alex Turcotte, C - USA U-18 (NDTP)
6. Detroit Red Wings: Moritz Seider, D - Mannheim (Germany)
7. Buffalo Sabres: Dylan Cozens, C - Lethbridge (WHL)
8. Edmonton Oilers: Philip Broberg, D - AIK (Sweden)
9. Anaheim Ducks: Trevor Zegras, C - USA U-18 (NDTP)
10. Vancouver Canucks: Vasili Podkolzin, RW - SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)
11. Arizona Coyotes (from PHI): Victor Soderstrom, D - Brynas (Sweden)
12. Minnesota Wild: Matthew Boldy, LW - USA U-18 (NDTP)
13. Florida Panthers: Spencer Knight, G - USA U-18 (NDTP)
14. Philadelphia Flyers: Cam York, D - USA U-18 (NDTP)
15. Montreal Canadiens: Cole Caufield, RW - USA U-18 (NDTP)
16. Colorado Avalanche: Alex Newhook, C - Victoria (BCHL)
17. Vegas Golden Knights: Peyton Krebs, C - Kootenay (WHL)
18. Dallas Stars: Thomas Harley, D - Mississauga (OHL)
19. Ottawa Senators (from CBJ): Lassi Thomson, D - Kelowna (OHL)
20. Winnipeg Jets (from WPG via NYR): Ville Heinola, D - Lukko (Finland)
21. Pittsburgh Penguins: Samuel Poulin, LW - Sherbrooke (QMJHL)
22. Los Angeles Kings (from TOR): Tobias Bjornfort, D - Djurgarden (Sweden)
23. New York Islanders: Simon Holmstrom, RW - HV71 (Sweden)
24. Nashville Predators: Philip Tomasino, C - Niagara (OHL)
25. Washington Capitals: Connor McMichael, C - London (OHL)
26. Calgary Flames: Jakob Pelletier, LW - Moncton (QMJHL)
27. Tampa Bay Lightning: Nolan Foote, LW - Kelowna (WHL)
28. Carolina Hurricanes: Ryan Suzuki, C - Barrie (OHL)
29. Anaheim Ducks (from SJS via BUF): Brayden Tracey, LW - Moose Jaw (WHL)
30. Boston Bruins: John Beecher, C - USA U-18 (NTDP)
31. Buffalo Sabres (from STL): Ryan Johnson, D - Sioux Falls (USHL)
Live Twitter Updates:
11:21pm - The first round is in the books - many thanks to all who followed along!
10:47pm - Checking in on the 31st overall pick:
The last 31st overall pick to play in the NHL was Brendan Lemieux in 2014.— Joe DiBiase (@SneakyJoeWGR) June 22, 2019
The last 31st overall pick to play more than 250 games in the NHL was Georges Laraque in 1995. #Sabres
10:24pm - Ralph Krueger on Cozens:
Interesting statement about Cozens from Ralph Krueger on WGR just now. "Strong at Center, but he can also play Wing." Added that his versatility at Center/Wing is a major benefit to his development. #Sabres— Bradley Gelber (@BradleyGelber) June 22, 2019
9:53pm - Dylan Cozens introduces himself to Sabres fans.
9:46pm - Nevermind.
9:40pm - Twitter is calling for the Sabres to trade up for Cole Caufield but radio silence at this point from Buffalo on any moves.
9:19pm - Sam Reinhart sighting.
9:14pm - We FINALLY have a trade.
PHI ARIZ trade— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) June 22, 2019
9:09pm - More on Cozens:
9:07pm - Chad DeDominicis fills us in on the drafting of Dylan Cozens.
9:06pm - In case you missed the moment live:
9:00pm - History made tonight.
Buffalo makes history, selecting Dylan Cozens with the 7th pick.— Jesse Granger (@JesseGranger_) June 22, 2019
Cozens is the first Yukon-born first round pick ever.
8:57pm - Meet the newest member of the Buffalo Sabres organization.
8:55pm - Buffalo made the pick.
8:48pm - First shock of the night from Detroit! Buffalo is on the clock.
8:43pm - Two picks away for Buffalo and things continue to shape up very well for them.
8:32pm - Radio silence from the Buffalo Sabres up to this point
8:25pm - Two picks in ten minutes - it is going to be a long night.
8:15pm - The New Jersey Devils are finally on the clock.
8:08pm - Great work, Vancouver!
Can't even hear Bettman they're booing so loud in Vancouver.— James Mirtle (@mirtle) June 22, 2019
8:06pm - Blood pressure beginning to rise.
Seems quiet on the trade front and not much activity around Central Registry, but there are indications something might be coming. Stay tuned.— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) June 22, 2019
8:04pm - Vesey and the Sabres continue to be linked.
Vesey & BUF still look like "A Thing." Doesn't mean a deal is happening or even close, but that campfire is still burning.— Adam Herman (@AdamZHerman) June 22, 2019
Alex Nylander has been linked, and makes plenty of sense. Buffalo doesn't have a 2nd-round pick this year. Would they move 31st overall? Wouldn't bet on it.
8:00pm - We are ready for some drafting.
7:51pm - Don’t think we missed this nugget.
7:42pm - Is Alex Turcotte set to fall? Stay tuned.
7:40pm - A little under thirty minutes away from the official start of the draft. Talks across the board seem to be quiet, according to Twitter.
7:00pm - We are ONE HOUR away from the start of the NHL Draft!
6:51pm - Potential draft pick Cole Caufield has a nice suit coat in preparation for tonight’s events.
6:34pm - We heard rumors earlier of Buffalo’s interest in the draft’s top goaltender. If Buffalo moves down, there might be a lot more smoke.
Sam Cosentino said on NHL Network that if the Sabres wanted Knight they’d be moving down to pick him— The Charging Buffalo (@TheChargingBUF) June 21, 2019
5:58pm - Tonight quite possibly could be the night we get the new Sabres third jersey.
3:03pm - Sabres home opener is only 106 days away!
Sabres open the season in Pittsburgh Oct. 3; home opened on the 5th against New Jersey— Joe Yerdon (@JoeYerdon) June 21, 2019
2:41 pm - Botterill speaks to the media.
Jason Botterill said he doesn’t anticipate using a buyout on Vladimir Sobotka. #Sabres— Bill Hoppe (@BillHoppeNHL) June 21, 2019
11:45 am - The rumblings start early this morning.
Dreger I have not heard much on a possible Ristolainen trade. I would still lock the #Sabres in on rumors surrounding Jimmy Vesey. There has also been some speculation that Alex Nylander could be on the move, and it doesn't have to be as part of a possible Vesey trade.— WGR 550 (@WGR550) June 21, 2019