Since we didn't quite settle on a name for this links post, we're just going to keep cycling through a few of your suggestions and see how you feel about them.
The Sydney Bears got off to an inauspicious start in the opening weekend of the Australian Ice Hockey League (AIHL). The Bears fell 6-3 at home to the CBR Brave on ANZAC weekend (ANZAC Day is the Australian and New Zealanders Memorial Day).
There's a big game on tap this weekend, and it's a good chance for the Bears to restart the season and move up the table. The Bears take on cross-town rivals the Sydney Ice in the #BattleofSydney. We'll have more information about the game on Saturday.
Bears Links -
- Rookie forward Cameron Smith is showing his dedication, playing for the Bears while serving as a Lieutenant in the Australian Army [AIHL]
- Australian Defence Forces personnel were on hand to watch the Bears' season opener, which coincided with the ANZAC Day celebrations [AIHL]
- An interview with Bears captain Michael Schlamp after last weekend's game [Facebook]
- The first episode of 'The Icehouse' podcast is now available, featuring the #BearsLive team of Julian Daw, Eric Brook and Nicholas Kutnjak as they discuss the opening weekend, and other news from around the League, including a five-minute clock fiasco and interviews with Bears players.[SoundCloud]
It's a great listen, but if you're short on time, skip forward to 28:40 for a special DBTB shoutout!
Around the AIHL -
- While on the theme of ANZAC Day, here's some archival footage from the Korean War of Canadian, Aussie & Kiwi forces playing hockey on a frozen river [YouTube]
- After the first weekend of the 2016 AIHL season, it's the CBR Brave leading the way after two consecutive offensive outbursts. Just behind them are the Newcastle North Stars.