The Buffalo Sabres and Boston Bruins face off tonight for the second of five times this season, and though their records are almost exact opposites of one another, Sabres fans hoping for a win have a few thin straws to grasp on to tonight.
The Sabres are coming off of a win in the last game (a rare enough thing this season) over Winnipeg in a game that saw their offense "explode" for four goals, a total that matched their output from the previous three games. If they're able to keep that momentum going, this game could be a lot more competitive than it looks on paper.
Also working in Buffalo's favor is the fact that a big chunk of the Bruins team is out with some type of injury - Daniel Paille, Dougie Hamilton, Chris Kelly, Loui Eriksson, and Adam McQuaid will all be out tonight. What, somebody couldn't injure Chara before the game, too?
(8-23-3) vs. (23-9-2)
Puck Drop - 7:00pm EST - First Niagara Center - Buffalo, NY
TV - MSG, Bell, NESN | Radio - WGR 550-AM
SBNation Bruins Blog - Stanley Cup of Chowder
1. Matt Moulson says he feels more comfortable now in Buffalo, and scored on Tuesday to boot. Can he keep it up against Boston?
2. The Sabres new fourth line was firing on all cylinders thanks to Matt Ellis and Kevin Porter. Will they see more ice time because of it?
Matty Ellis scored an NHL goal on Tuesday. Let's just take a moment for that to sink in.
There. The goal was Ellis' first since January of 2012, and helped lead the Sabres to victory. Ted Nolan loves hard-working, responsible players. Will the fourth line be rewarded with more ice time thanks to their efforts?
3. Buffalo has outshot or tied their opponents in five straight games. Can they make it six?
After starting the season with god-awful shot differentials every night, the Sabres have turned things around. Beating Boston in the shots department would go a long way toward a win.
Projected BUF Lines
Matt Moulson - Tyler Ennis - Zemgus Girgensons
Ville Leino - Steve Ott - Drew Stafford
Marcus Foligno - Cody Hodgson - Matt D'Agostini
John Scott - Brian Flynn - Kevin Porter
Goal: Ryan Miller
Scratches/Injuries: Ellis, McCormick, Ruhwedel, Grigorenko
- Sabres Links: Moulson adjusting, Compher and Possler injured, Pysyk not playing in Spengler Cup
- Winnipeg Jets vs. Buffalo Sabres Recap: Sabres Look Competent In Regulation Win
- Sabres move Adam, Pysyk, and McNabb to Rochester; Porter and Ruhwedel called up
- Sabres Links: Looking at Sabres under Nolan, roster moves, solid showing in win
- Sabres Catwalk For Charity event will haunt your dreams forever