Not normally do we update midday but a handful of things have gone down already
- The Rangers have officially picked up Avery on waivers. Color me surprised. This deal has been going down for a while now and it probably won't help the Rangers in the least. At least Avery will be happy though.
- The Minnesota Wild have extended Niklas Backstrom for four more years. Backstrom signed a 4 year $24 million extension to stay with the Wild. This effectively takes him off the block and makes the already short list of tradeable goaltenders shorter.
- The Penguins have waived Miroslav Satan. Satan signed a one-year $3.5 million contract to play with them and has been labeled as a disappointment. With the clearing of space, there are hints that the Penguins are going to make some moves.
- The Ducks have waived Brendan Morrison. Morrison was waived to clear up some roster space for returning injured players. Morrison has 10 goals and 22 points in 61 games.
- The Lightning have waived Gary Roberts. Roberts, the essentially clubhouse leader of the Penguins last season only has 7 points in 30 games this season for the struggling Lightning. There sounds to be some interest in Roberts, so its peculiar that the Lightning have let him go.