We are still a couple of weeks away from the Buffalo Sabres training camp but the CHL has started to ramp up their training camps. Most of the Sabres prospects that play in the OHL, QMJHL and WHL started this week and Kris at Sabres Prospects has started his coverage of the youngsters. I will break down the prospects for you this season but if you want extensive coverage, Sabres Prospects is the place to go.
I'm guessing that in the next couple of days Hockey's Future will unveil their top 20 Sabres Prospects but I thought I'd get a head start on them.
Sabres Top 20 Prospects
- Andrej Sekera- proved that he is a future NHL star with his play last year
- Jhonas Enroth- This season will be the real test, playing in Portland
- Clarke MacArthur- This is the season that C-Mac needs to prove he belongs in the NHL
- Nathan Gerbe- A star in college in his first pro season...size has always been an issue
- Mike Weber- If he plays like he did last season he will be a star in the NHL
- Tyler Myers- Big defenseman taken in the first round by Buffalo
- Chris Butler- Solid defenseman at Denver making the transition to the pro game
- Tim Kennedy- Another NCAA player, could become a hometown hero
- TJ Brennan- a couple years away from being an NHL player
- Marek Zagrapan- This is a make it or break it season for him
- Marc-Andre Gragnani- was a liability defensively but played well on the wing
- Dennis Persson- playing one more season in Sweden before coming to North America
- Paul Byron- another undersized forward with a ton of talent
- Drew Scheistel- another potentially solid defenseman
- Phillipe Gogulla- Probably playing in Europe again
- Mark Mancari- A big strong guy with offensive potential
- Michael Funk- another big defenseman
- Jean-Simon Allard- a lot of potential
- Corey Tropp- a typical small forward with offensive upsided
- Tyler Ennis- Sabres 2008 draft pick
I will do full profiles of all 20 players in the upcoming weeks but this was just a quick snippett of where I feel the players rank.