I'm getting tired of writing the same thing after every game but tonight was the same old story. They were out-skated, out-hit and thoroughly outplayed. It was only by a stroke of luck that the Sabres were in this game tied at 2-2 after two periods but in the third the Canes took advantage of some good bounces and some questionable calls and buried the Sabres 6-2.
The first period got off to a really bad start with Rod Brind'Amour scoring just 38 seconds into the game. It looked bleak early but Jason Pominville tied the game just over two minutes later. Tim Connolly fed a pretty pass to Pominville and he waited till Cam Ward was out of position and slid the puck underneath him. The Sabres played alright in the first period and it appeared that it would be an entertaining second and third period.
The Canes decided to take control of the game and poured on the pressure in the second period. The Canes went ahead early in the period on a goal by Ray Whitney. The Sabres were out-shot 17-6 in the second period but stayed in the game because of the excellent play of Ryan Miller. Miller had been a concern coming into this game but he had one of his better games in spite of allowing six goals. The Sabres did apply some pressure late in the period and were rewarded with a 5-on-3 power play. They took advantage of the 5-on-3 when Jason Pominville scored his second goal of the game and fifth of the season. Pominville was parked on the side of the net and Derek Roy fed a cross ice pass to him and he buried it into the open net. The Canes dominated play but could not put Buffalo away in the second with the score tied 2-2 after two frames.
The third period was when the Canes really dominated play scoring four unanswered goals to put Buffalo away. The first goal was scored on a great play by Eric Staal who tipped the puck towards the net and lunged forward to tip it in by Miller. The Canes added two power play goals that came on a couple of questionable calls to really put the game in the bag.
The Sabres will jump right back on the horse as they will travel to the Florida Panthers on Friday Night. Game time on Friday is 7:30. It will be game three of a five game road trip for the Sabres.
- Ryan Miller looked really good tonight
- Jason Pominville scored two goals to tie him with Derek Roy for the team lead
- Jaro Spacek might play on Friday against Florida
- scored another power play goal...all be it a 5-on-3
- Out-shot 43-21 and 33-12 after the first period
- The defense, especially Tallinder and Lydman... Tallinder was on the ice for 4-of-6 goals (in the box for another) and Lydman was on the ice for 5-of-6
- The fact that they were out-skated and out-hit
- The inconsistent officiating for both teams...it makes it really tough when you have no idea what is or isn't a penalty
- spent the whole game short handed