I have been biting my tongue for some time now. I am not the kind of guy to say "fire the coach and trade some guys" but enough is enough. This isn't working. Some players are not trying. Some are unhappy. Some are worth something if we do this NOW.
1) Roy. I love Roy, but he isn;t working out in Buffalo anymore. $4M cap hit, UFA at the end of next season.
2) Boyes. Another guy I really like but not worth the $4M cap hit either. UFA at end of this season.
3) Hecht. Been coming around, but he is worth something to other reams. $3.5M hit, UFA end of this season.
4) Miller. Yes, Miller. Our team's identity is in a slump. He has a bad attitude and I don;t think he's ever coming back to form. $6.25 hit, UFA in 2014, many teams would take him.
5) Sekera. Anyone who knows me knows that I think Sekera is grossly overrated. He is not worth the $2.75M. Plus we have about 87 defencemen hanging around so I'm sure we can replace him easily.
6) Even though this doesn't free up cash, and even though I love the guy, maybe it's time for Lindy to go as well. I don;t know what it's like in the locker room, but the boys don't seem motivated anymore. Perhaps they are not responding to him?
All that being said, Miller probably won't be dealt, but I can see Roy, Boyes, and Hecht being shipped out, along with some young guys. Getting the top 3 out of here would free up $11.5M to work with. Maybe we dump a couple lower salaries as well freeing up around $13M total? That opens the door to signing a marquee player, plus a few "good" players, and we bring up some of the young talent to replace those which we lose. Let the debate begin.....