The Buffalo Sabres are trying to build off a crucial shootout win over the Toronto Maple Leafs with a game against the worst team in the National Hockey League, the New Jersey Devils. The New Jersey Devils come into this game with a 4-10-1 record and some injuries that have hampered their season since the last time these two team met, a 6-1 Sabres victory in Newark.
- Lindy Ruff will be coaching in his 1,000th game tonight. Ruff is the first coach to complete his first 1,000 games with the original team that hired him and the third coach ever to coach 1,000 games with one team.
- Patrick Lalime has been held out of the lineup due to a possible case of appendicitis and Ryan Miller will be the backup goaltender for starting goaltender Jhonas Enroth. Enroth won his first NHL game against the Maple Leafs on Saturday
- Other injuries of note for the Sabres: Rivet has missed some practice time with the flu; Stafford has been skating on his own after injuring his shoulder; and Gerbe skated with teammates in non contact drills.
- Johan Hedberg will be in the net for the Devils as Martin Brodeur continues to recover from a bone bruise on his elbow. Hedberg was the goaltender in net for the 6-1 shellacking of the Devils last time.
- The Devils are the only other winless team at home with a record of 0-5-1 at home. The Buffalo Sabres are a respectable 4-3-1 on the road.
- Zach Parise, if you haven't heard, has been out of the lineup with a torn right meniscus in his knee.
- Rookie Mattias Tedenby will make his NHL debut against the Sabres. It is the eighth player to make his eighth NHL debut for the Devils this season.
Game time is at 7pm, game thread will be up at 6:30 pm.